There are usually 2 reasons, you may want to refund a patient.
- Either the patient has paid an amount of money that you no longer wish to use and that patient is in credit, or
- you have charged the patient for some work and you wish to lower their charge.
If you have charged for work and wish to lower the charge, it is advisable to retain that work on the system and create a credit for the patient:
To refund an unused payment:
- Simply Take a payment with a minus figure value to the amount you are refunding
- Click on the orange question mark by the refunded amount and manually type in an explanation, stating the payment number that the entry is refunding
- Click on the orange question mark by the payment that you have refunded and manually type in an explanation stating that it has been refunded
To refund a patient using a credit if you have charged the patient for some work and you wish to lower their charge
- From the Account tab, create a new invoice
- Add a line item
- In the Item description, type the reason for the credit/ lowering the charge
- In the Price field, type the amount with a minus sign in front of it, so if it was a refund or credit of £34.00 you type -£34.00
- Save the Invoice.
- You will see that the refund/credit now appears on the Total column.
A Credit Note
If a patient is in credit, or their balance is at £0, and you create a new invoice, it automatically is created as a Credit Note.
Add a line item to detail the credit you wish to account for.
Save as before.